Friday, December 30, 2011

Farewell 2011 Welcome 2012


Between yesterday and today I have read several interesting status' on my family and friends Facebook.
I would like to share several of them here.

"Nobody gets through life without losing someone they love, someone they need, or something they thought was meant to be. BUT it is these losses that make us stronger & eventually move us toward future opportunities."

This was one post I read on my niece's friends FB page. I feel that it speaks volumes and needs no further explanation.

Moving onto another niece's FB status ....

"Stop being ungrateful. No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs. Instead of thinking about what you’re missing, try thinking about what you have that everyone else is missing. "

Once again no explanation is needed but I will add that this very quote will be mentioned in a future blog of mine. You see I have been there done that and took the long road to get where I am today.... leaving this topic alone for now to keep you wondering, LOL

And now for a quote from yet another niece's status .....

"‎2011 basically sucked for me and a lot of people I know. Here's to hoping we all have a better 2012!! Hope everyone has a very HAPPY NEW YEAR!! ♥"

How very true to some degree not just for her but myself and others as well.

2011 started out with awaited joy as my 1st grandchild was due to be born in late January. I was scheduled to have minor surgery on my hand.

My 'plans' were to have the surgery and already be off of work recuperating all within the time frame of his expected arrival.

That came to a screeching halt on the morning of January 7th. {Ironically, my niece who posted this last quote now shares her birthday with my grandson. They are the very first to do so in our rather large family of 60+ members.}

On January 7th I was awakened to the phone ringing at 5:30am from Alex. She said her plug had come out. OK you will be fine went the conversation. 3 or 4 phone calls later she was leaving for the hospital. By 12 noon I was a new grandma-ma!

I was at work but was off that weekend so off to North Carolina I went to meet my grandson.

Rocket may have been 3 weeks early but he was not lacking in his weight. 7lbs. 6oz. He needed some extra time for his lungs to finish developing but soon he would be home with his mom and dad. Both of them handled the situation for very well for 1st time parents.

Onto my hand surgery. What started as a routine small skin cancer removal that would keep me out of work for 3 weeks turned into my taking a trip with the passengers and crew of the SS Minnow.

If you recall they left for a 3 hour tour and ended up ship wrecked. Yes that is exactly what happened to me. I became ship wrecked in my hand recovery.

The pain after my surgery never went away and only seemed to get worse. 2 doctors and a nerve block later it was determined that I had un-repairable nerve damage.

Well, I certainly did not want to live with this pain 24/7 so the doctor felt the only way to relieve it was to remove to main sensory nerves. With the end result leaving the backside of my hand with permanent numbness. That I could live with pain not so much.


The top faded upside down 'U' shaped scar is from the 1st surgery and the longer scars is from the second.

After 20+ years in the restaurant industry I had become a liability. Time to consider career change!
I had actually been toying with the idea for sometime but just never really explored it seriously.
After much exploration and consulting with Bruce I found a suitable career that was easy enough to transition into and affordable.

I found a 1 semester class in Richmond that would be starting in September to become a Pharmacy Technician.
The schedule allowed me to finish my therapy for my hand and still participate in my studies.
The only drawback was that I would miss my 1st class.

WHY??

On that day I would be on a Dune Buggy Safari Adventure in Grand Turk!

Oh yes, mud slinging water spraying adventure in Grand Turk

Can you imagine any better excuse to miss a class??

Yes we took our 1st Cruise in August 2011. Getting to our cruise was in itself a challenge.

You see Hurricane Irene had just left the Eastern Caribbean and was knocking on Virginia's door along with weird threats against the North East sea board.

As we boarded our plane in Richmond the airport was shutting down behind us. YIKES!

Sail away from Port of Miami

Once we were off the ground we were met with a slightly bumpy flight for an hour than everything was smooth. The weather was perfect and we enjoyed ourselves beyond words.

Each island had its own uniqueness and left us convinced that more cruising will be in our future.

Old San Juan, PR

So wrapping up 2011 is filled with a new beginning but not forgetting what happened to get me there.

It's that what happens when you are reading a book?

You finish one chapter and move onto the next.

So, to is ending one year and moving into the next.

My wish to everyone is this .....

Enjoy the newness of the forthcoming year and be not forgetful of the ending year!
New Beginning are always welcome and only reinforce the brightness of our future.


Rainbow that enlightened our cruise. Somewhere over the southern Atlantic.


No comments:

Post a Comment